This qualification is aimed at learners who wish to become first aiders in the workplace. This qualification meets the requirements for training first aiders in those organisations that have identified that staff need to be trained to this level within their first-aid needs assessment.
To complete this qualification learners should expect to undertake 22 hours of learning, typically over three days, with a minimum contact time of 18 hours.
The qualification covers knowledge such as the roles and responsibilities of the first aider, how to assess an incident and recognising signs and symptoms of injury and illness.
- The qualification also covers the following:
- First aid skills in CPR
- Use of an AED (Automated external defibrillator)
- Assisting a casualty who is suffering from major injury and illness such as chest injuries, spinal injuries and anaphylaxis
- Administering first aid to a choking casualty
- Putting a casualty into the recovery position
- Dealing with shocks, bleeds, burns and minor injuries